Posted by Annemieke, March 07 2011
The Oxfam International (OI) Communications team is looking for an enthusiastic Spanish translations intern. You will be a native Spanish speaker, and have English and preferably French language skills, proven organizational and time management skills and strong communication skills, translations experience will be highly regarded. Please note that this is an unpaid internship.
Location: Oxfam International Secretariat, Oxford, UK
Department: Brand & Communications
To provide translation support to the Brand and Communications team in the form of ongoing tasks and projects within the Oxfam International Secretariat office based in Oxford. The projects will bring you into contact with the national Oxfam affiliate organisations and various personnel with a communications role.
The Communications intern will support the Communications team with high-quality translation for the day-to-day tasks serviced by the Secretariat.
The internship will involve a range of the following activities to support internal and external communications, both verbal and written. Oxfam International produces all core materials in our three core languages; English, Spanish and French.
• Translating items for the Oxfam International Website including blogs, twitter posts, press releases and media briefings.
• Translating material and ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained, alongside proofreading and editing final translated versions.
• Using specialist language and developing glossaries.
• Assisting with specific meetings, following the process from planning through to the meeting conclusion and outputs with regards to translation and administrative requirements.
• Working with the wider translations network within Oxfam International (French and Spanish web editors) and affiliates to ensure that the translations process is effective and efficient.
• Supporting the Secretariat to maintain the translations area on the intranet, updating and contributing to the translations group processes.
• Help ensure consistency within Oxfam translations.
• Assisting the team with other projects as required, this will include translating one off documents, e.g. the Oxfam Annual Report, Humanitarian reports.
• Answering general email enquiries (French and Spanish).
• Updating the general enquiries FAQ’s.
There is also opportunity to contribute to new projects the comms team are working on. You are expected to develop a good understanding of the main focuses of the organization and the processes which support out work.
The post-holder will work to a specific workplan and objectives and there will be regular opportunities to discuss progress against these.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Native Spanish speaker, a good standard of English, and French is preferable.
• Accuracy, consistency and attention to detail.
• Proven organisational and time management skills.
• Familiarity with IT programs, including Lotus Notes, and Microsoft packages; Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Knowledge of CMS desirable. • Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team.
• Previous translation experience is highly desirable.
• Any additional languages would be highly desirable.
This is a six-month (part-time or full-time) voluntary unpaid internship.
The post-holder must be eligible to do unpaid work in the UK.
To apply please send your CV (MS Word format) and covering email email@example.com.
Closing Date: 21 March 2011, 17:00 GMT (GMT +00:00) (GM +00:00)
Posted by Annemieke, March 07 2011
Internships, Languages, Pro Bono Translation, Translation